Saturday, May 31, 2008

Road not taken

Its been some time since I posted anything and decided to scribble something today. Before I rant further, today was a memorable day because of two things:

a) Went to Bible Society of India head office in Bangalore for the first time and it was a great experience. Reason for the visit was to get an approval from the secretary regarding a Bible project we have in BYF Bangalore. Later on we visited the "Bible World" where they had bible exhibitions and a store section. It was impressive as they had scriptures from all over the world and good collections of articles 1000s of years old.

b) Got a brand new automatic washing machine, so no more dhobi time ;) I used to do laundry myself since I left home sweet home for hostel since 11th std and have been doing till now. Washing has become one of the most hated chores for the weekends and i'm glad that things are getting better.

Well moving on to other things, I was watching a music awards ceremony on Zee and a friend "Chetta" called up from Nagpur. He was posted there and he had to bear the notorious 40-45 degrees Celsius temperature. As he was complaining about most things in his life it occurred to me the huge differences between how people choose to live their lives.

Most of us choose a way of life that is quite normal and mundane. It may include things like going to school, college, taking up jobs and being one of the regular guys in the neighborhood. Making money, getting married, having kids and living till old age.

The other small group of people pursue things that are out of the ordinary, the path we call the unbeaten. They take a leap of faith and pursue the calling of their heart. They include people we admire/ envy/ hate/ emulate or talk about like great discovers, freedom fighters, celebrities, inventors etc.

Of course its logical and expected of everyone to choose the safe option as they were taught by people who brought them up and shaped by the society in which they live in. However, reflecting back on the second group it dawned on me how much more exciting and fulfilling their lives were compared to the 'normal' guys.

Though I do not think its possible for everyone to become an extraordinary person (we can create change and be a source of blessing and inspiration for someone in our own ways), it may be better to encourage a greater number of people to strive for higher things that can have far greater impact on the lives of others.

I'll leave you to ponder with a beautiful poem "The Road Not Taken" by "Robert Frost"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 comment:

mnowluck said...

heheh!! Tun ah chu Underwear natan na hon pei sak ta di chu....

Ken leng khalui a va lei inga.. nuam himai... Tua ka lit nawn khat chu annhuan gige himai

Road not taken na hon quote leh lungbang a leng e... Mihing in zaw i hih louh na lamlam ki ut eive

What is 'Normal'?

My wife and I were talking about our choices of friends when we were in school. She used to make friends with the prettier girls in...